Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Heavenly Hash {What I'm Eating}

Ah, sweet potatoes! Next to avocados, my favorite item to add to most meals is a yummy sweet potato. Even without seasoning or toppings, just simply baked (or sometimes I cheat and make them in the microwave) and cut up, they are a great addition to most any dish. Steak, some sautéed veggies, and a sweet potato = heaven! Once in a while though, I get to make them the main event in my mealtime show.

sweet potato hash recipe breakfast bacon coconut oil

Probably my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is in this scrumptious hash that my love made for me sometime last year. Yes, he can definitely cook and he's great at making deliciousness that keeps my belly and my heart very happy :)

sweet potato hash recipe breakfast bacon coconut oil eggs avocado

With bacon, garlic, butter, and coconut oil - you simply cannot go wrong! Sometimes I add onions, depending on my mood. Either way, its a great way to mix up some of my favorite foods in an easy side dish. This time, it was breakfast so the co-stars were avocado (with some salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime) and eggs. Delicious!

Sweet Potato Hash

1 Medium Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into small cubes)
3 Slices Bacon (cut into small strips)
2 Cloves Garlic (chopped or pressed through a garlic press)
2 T Onion (chopped) *optional
1 T Butter (I like to use grassfed)
1 T Coconut Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Heat your frying pan on medium, then throw in that bacon, garlic and onions (if you choose to include them). Once they're all cooked up (be careful not to burn them!), you can add butter and coconut oil.

When they've melted (and started making your kitchen smell delicious) you can add the sweet potatoes and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 7-10 minutes or until cooked through and browned, stirring about halfway through.

*I like to cook them with the lid on for the first half so they have time to cook in the middle before they begin to brown on the outside.

This recipe makes enough for two side servings, but don't be surprised if your meal mate tries to distract you so that he can steal some of yours, too ;)

Now, go enjoy some sweet and and savory deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment